The Real Deal With The KETO DIET
By Anthony Mayatt, Jun 13 2019 10:23AM
I know it’s so tempting, I understand how you feel. I bet you’ve tried every weight loss diet out there and nothing is working for you, then you end up re gaining the weight and then you look for the next solution! But please let’s go back to the basics of nutrition and weight loss.
After a few days of fasting or a drastically reduced carbohydrate diet (below 20 g per day), the body’s glucose reserves become insufficient for the production of oxaloacetate for normal fat oxidation in the Krebs cycle and for the supply of glucose to the central nervous system. After 3–4 days of fasting or a very low carbohydrate diet the CNS needs an alternative energy source and this is derived from the overproduction of acetyl-CoA which leads to the production of so-called ketone bodies. This process is called ketogenesis and occurs principally in the mitochondrial matrix in the liver.
Now when you run out of dietary sources of glucose (e.g. dietary carbohydrates) and your body runs low on its stores of glucose (e.g. muscle and liver glycogen) you body has to find ways to provide fuel to tissues like the brain. It accomplishes this task by producing ketone bodies that are released into the blood for our brain and other tissues that don’t utilize fat for energy.
Basically Ketosis is a metabolic state that occurs when dietary carbohydrates are in such low quantities that your body must reply almost exclusively on fatty acid oxidation and ketone metabolism to product ATP.
The ketogenic diet allows us to survive on no food intake for long periods. When we look at ketosis from a biochemical and physiological standpoint one could argue that the ketosis is essentially a survival strategy/mechanism. I think that is an appropriate way to look at it as it is indeed a survival adaptation and that raises some interesting questions.
Purefit KETO supplement
The keto supplement called ‘Purefit KETO claims it actually helps your body achieve ketosis fast and helps you burn fat for energy instead of carbs’. Well actually if you just buy keto sticks on amazon, you can tell whether your body is in ketosis or not.... you don’t need a pill to make the diet work, as you can see above your body is perfectly capable of getting in ketosis by ITSELF.
- Keto diet IS NOT sustainable!! It’s very low in carbohydrates... also dietary fibre which helps us helps feed the good bacteria in our gut, and keeps us regular. Yes you’ll loose weight initially, but I wish you luck with trying to maintain the weight loss.
- Due to restriction of carbohydrates in ketogenic diet, micronutrient deficiencies can result. Consider taking a multivitamin.
- You’ll end up damaging your metabolism. Low-calorie diets can result in a loss of muscle, and a fall in hormones that regulate your metabolism, such as thyroid hormone. Which means as a result you’ll end up burning less calories overtime!
- High fat diets with high protein can result in a build up of acidity in the body. I’ve seen many people go on keto diets and their Uric acid levels go up in their blood, which can result in result in all sorts of issues such as gout, kidney stones and many others.
- Damage to the diversity in the gut microbiome. Our gut microbiome is essential for , immunity, B vitamin production, hormones and many more!
- The increase in ketones can cause bad breath, so it’s important to have good oral hygiene.
- If you consume ketogenic diet, it improves your body’s ability to exploit stored fat for energy production.
- Lowers insulin levels – hence why the diet is popular among diabetics.
- The release of ketones results in lower appetite, which tends to lower calorie consumption. So food lust cannot be born.
t: +44 (0)7840 180 094
Book your FREE consultation with us below. Just send us an email with some information about yourself and get started straight away.